The reasons I don't accept insurance
1. Health Insurance companies require a medical mental health diagnosis. This diagnosis will become a part of your permanent health record. Not all counseling issues meet the qualifications for a medical mental health illness.
2. The permission given by you and your provider to the insurance company provides access to your medical records and therefore limits your ability to have a completely safe, confidential, and private arena in which you can explore your personal issues. You should be aware of these limitations before you choose to use your health insurance.
3. Most insurance companies do not cover marital or couple's counseling or counseling issues that do not require a medical mental health diagnosis.
4. In some cases, mental health diagnoses can be accessed by other companies when you apply for such things as life insurance, car or house loans, or apply for certain kinds of employment. In this sense, your mental health diagnoses is not really confidential.
6. A therapist on insurance panels is required to share records with the sponsoring insurance company if the company requests to see the records.